Fennel? Urgh, I never really liked that vegetable - UNTIL I tasted it roasted. Hell yeah! Seriously, I think I have never tried anything more delicious. Next time you walk past fennel when buying your groceries grab one - just do it!
The caramelised Fennel, Honey, Orange and Hazelnut salad is the perfect recipe for this toocoldforspringyetbutnotwinteranymore morale. It is a warm salad with a fresh twist of the orange and the nice crunch of the roasted hazelnutties. These three match perfectly! Love it.
crispy, juicy, fresh
It is low in carbs, high in minerals and vitamins, also suitable for vegans paleos and last but not least - simply a w e s o m e !
Health benefits of Fennel
Fennel is a relatively low carb veggie with a lot of nutrients and fibre. Your body will thank you as all minerals and vitamins fennel contains are great for promoting bone and heart health as well as keeping blood pressure stable and digestion going.
ALL YOU NEED:
- one handful of hazelnuts, shelled and roasted
- one large fennel bulb (or two medium sized), stems trimmed off - I saved some of the fennel greens for decoration :)
- 2 large juicy oranges, peeled and chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil
- honey, for caramelizing
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- put the sliced fennel on a baking tray and brush with olive oil, sea salt and pepper
- Bake in the oven at 185°C for about 15-20 minutes until the fennel is soft and the edges start to brown
- Roast the hazelnuts (I just placed them onto the baking tray together with the fennel for a few minutes - don't forget to take them out as they burn quite quickly!)
- Take the fennel out of the oven and sprinkle with honey
- Simply combine the peeled and chopped oranges with the roasted fennel and hazelnuts. Add some olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste and decorate with some left over fennel greens.
- Voila! You warm caramelised fennel orange salad is done!