This is a throw back of my breakfast at home. Porridge! I LOVE it!
Oh, sometimes there is nothing better than a filled fridge and freezer at home. Nothing to worry about. No grocery shopping. Everything is just there.
My mum and me have a little tradition. Every year in summer - its normally around my birthday . we go out to the nearby blueberry fields and pick large buckets full of berries.
Summer time = blueberry time
I love this blueberry picking as you can snack on while picking. No one weigths you before and after picking :P
Its great as they are organic and the taste is amazing. You taste the sunshine filled sweetness in every berry. The berries you can get in the supermarkets are nothing compared to self picked ones.
If you are lucky and have blueberries field nearby just grab a friend and a bucket and go blueberry picking.
I got a bucket, a bucket full of sunshine
We usually pick 2 or three buckets full of those dark blue beauties. Of course, way to much to eat at once. So after washing they go straight to the freezer. So we can enjoy handpicked organic sun sweetened blueberries all year round! They are the perfect fruit to freeze. Also they don’t lose any water (like frozen strawberries etc.) keeping they shapes.
As they are rather small they defreeze super quickly there is no need to wait a long time. Just chuck them in your cakes and porridges straight out of the freezer.
So being home there were still a couple blueberry bags left in the freezer. My blueberry porridge really lightened up my day and reminded me of those summer days.
Go, have a look at the recipe and fill your days with a hint of summer.
ALL YOU NEED:
- fresh of frozen blueberries, best when organic and handpicked
- 1-2 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- one fresh fig
- one spoon of chia seeds
- plant based milk for topping, I used my homemade Vanilla Cashew Milk
- 4-5 tbsp quick organic oats (I used gluten free)
- about 350ml of hot water
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp of coconut oil or butter
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT
- Place the oats in your very favourite breakfast bowl and add the pinch of salt
- Pour the hot water and let soak for about 10-15 minutes
- Add the coconut oil/butter and stir in the coconut flakes until nicely creamy and smooth texture
- Top with frozen blueberries
- Sprinkle with chia seeds
- Pour over the milk
- Garnish with fresh figs