Aloo Mattar is a very typical North Indian dish from Punjab. Aloo means potato and mattar means green peas.
So this is a delightful vegetarian Indian dish. Potatoes and peas are cooked in a spiced tomato gravy. The dish gets its flavour from fried ginger, onion, garlic, cumin seeds and many other Indian spices. It is the perfect comfort food. It is an all year round dish as the ingredients are readily available. It's best served with hot naan or roti which is a typical indian flat bread.
SWEET Ps and Peas
I changed the recipe a little and swopped the normal potatoes for sweet potatoes. The Aloo Mattar is perfect to vegetarians, vegan and all other indian food lovers. It is high in minerals. The sweet potatoes provide good carbs and and peas nourish our body with healthy plant protein.
I cooked this dish with my Indian aunty. She is amazing in the kitchen. I am always so impressed by her food creations. She is the mother of all clean eating people. All foods she eats are pretty much homemade. Not a single preserving agent or nasty additives. All foods are bought in its initial state - no store-bought tomato puree, but homemade one from fresh organic tomatoes. All good home made hand crafted food from the scratch. Home made freshly made yoghurt from farmers milk, mustard made from indian mustard seeds, any kind of chutneys,... - just to mention a few.
For Easter brunch she made a orange ricotta cake. With home made (!) ricotta cheese. Making this cake took her two days with all preparation. No way, I HAD to try it. Sorry, no pictures though haha I was too busy eating it :P
In exchange you find my Aunty's Aloo Mattar recipe below :) Enjoyyyy!!
THIS IS ALL YOU NEED:
spice up your life!
for four hungry people
- one knob of ginger, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- wo green chilli, finely chopped
- 2-3 onions, finely chopped
- 4 tomatoes, pureed
- 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 300g green peas
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tbsp ghee
- sea salt to taste
Always make sure to chop all your ingredients the same size so that they cook evenly.
To avoid smelly garlicy fingers just chuck the onions, garlic and chilli in a blender until finely chopped.
Behind the Scenes
- THE perfect Naan -
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- Slowly melt ghee and add chopped onions, garlic and chilli. Cook until onions are tender and start to golden
- dd the spices and stir well and sautee for 2-3 minutes
- Add the tomato puree and cook well until you get a nice gravy
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes and peas and mix well till the tomato gravy coats well with the veggies, cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add a cup of water, cover and cook until tender
- Add salt to taste
- Serve with fresh hot naan