It is my approach to Quiona and Granola.
I wanted to create a gluten free, low carb and sugar free granola.
Therefore, made my granola with quinoa flakes to make it free from gluten. Quinoa are relatively is low in carbs and rich in protein.
The recipe is fairly easy: basically 3 cups of mixed nuts, 1 cup of seeds, 1 cup of dried fruit, 1 cup of grains and two large tablespoons of super foods. Then adding some more flavour with sea salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Voila. Nothing too fancy about it!
In addition to quinoa flakes, I used sunflower, hemp and chia seeds and yummy Australian macadamia nuts. I added coconut in two forms - desiccated one and coco flakes. For the fruity bit I chose goji berries. For giving it more crunch egg whites worked very well. It made the mixture stick and crispy.
When you are making your own qui-nola you can be creative and flexible. Use whatever nuts, seeds and fruit you like. Me, personally, am not a big fan of dried fruit. I believe raisins should never be in mueslis, porridge or cakes or whatever. Urgh. I rather like fresh fruits. Fresh figs, blueberries and mangoes are my very favourites.
Keep it tropical - keep it summery
However, if you like dried fruit in your morning granola try dried chopped pineapple, banana chips, cranberries or even dried mangoes.
This Goji Berry Macadamia Nut Qui-nola is the perfect addition to your breakfast table. Its also perfect when you are craving a something to snack. Paired with (soy) yoghurt and fresh berries it is my very favourite weekend breakfast – mmmm deliciousness.
Even though it is low in carbs in is rich in healthy fiber and essential fats. It provides you with a lot of energy and keeps you going until lunch.
The Qui-nola recipe is super easy to make. It takes only 5 minutes to mix it all up, then 30 minutes to bake and voilà within no time you will be eating a really amazing home made granola.
Store it in an airtight container for keeping it fresh and crunchy.. The Weck jars work very well.
And remember to let me know how you liked it and what changes you made if you do make it, I love to hear how my recipes work for you all!
ALL YOU NEED:
makes one big jar
- three cups mixed nuts, finely chopped
- I used one cup of macadamia nuts, one cup of hazelnut and one cup of desiccated coconu
- Other nuts: brazilian nuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans etc.
- one cup of seeds
- I used sunflower seeds
- Other seeds: sesame seed, flaxseed, pumpkin kennels,
- one cup of grains
- I used quinoa flakes
- Other optional grains: gluten free organic rolled oats, rice flakes etc.
- I used quinoa flakes
- two tablespoons of superfood seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of hemp seed
- One cup of dried fruit
- used goji berries
- Other optional dried fruits: like dried mango, dried pineapple, dried cranberries, dried mulberries, dried figs, raisins, dried blueberries
- one handful unsweetened shaved coconut
- one or two tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- One vanilla pod, scraped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- One large egg white, beaten
- Optional: two or three tablespoons of maple syrup or agave sirup to sweeten to taste
I like my granola extra crunchy. Therefore, I make sure to keep some extra nuts aside and not chop them too finely.
Chop your nutz!
melt the coco and add vanilla, cinnamon and sea salt
Mix it all together
beat the egg whites until stiff
and carefully fold in the granola mixture
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- Have all nut nuts cracked and finely chopped. Make sure to keep some bigger pieces aside for extra crunch
- Melt the coconut oil add sea salt, cinnamon and vanilla pod to it and stir well
- Add the 'dry' ingredients to the coconut oil mix and stir together until everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture out onto the baking sheet in an even layer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stirring the granola once to make sure it bakes evenly and evenly press it down again. Bake another 10 minutes until the mixture is nicely golden brown.
- Let cool completety
- Sprinkle with dried (goji) berries
- Then break into chunks.
- Store in an airtight container up for three weeks.
- Have it with (soy) yogurt and fresh berries.