Dream come true - the healthy burger!
There is nothing better than a good burger! I LOVE burgers. But often it comes with a lot of guilt. The heavy feeling of having eaten a fatty piece of meat inside of two white bread buns.
Burgers are always deemed as unhealthy fastfood. Thanks, McDonalds.
Try my idea of the healthy Portobello BLT Chicken Burger and you will be surprised how good it tastes. I replaced the burger buns with two grilled portobello mushrooms and sprinkled them with sesame seed. You can enjoy the full beauty of a (low carb and gluten free!) burger with out the stinky white bread. The Portobellos have a really nice taste too.
Just like the original. Instead of beef I used lean minced chicken and formed two patties out of these. Then I added a lot of veggies like grated carrot, tomato, baby spinach, spring onion avocado relish and finally topped it with fresh thyme.
My Portobello Burger is obviously not like a greasy burger from the grill, but it is healthy and equally delicious alternative.
ALL YOU NEED:
burger for two
For the Burger Buns
- 4 portobello mushrooms, washed
- one tablespoon of olive oil
For the Burger Patties
- 400g organic minced meat, I used organic chicken and formed it into two (or more) burger patties
- black pepper
- one tomato, sliced
- one carrot, grated
- little bit of ginger, grated
- fresh oregano, for topping
- sesame seed, for topping
- some rashers of organic bacon
- a handful of baby spinach leaves
- one or two spring onions, finely sliced
- mustard or sugar-free (!) ketchup or BBQ sauce
- one avocado, one half sliced one half mashed
- juice of one lemon
- sea salt and black pepper
- one garlic clove, minced
- one pinch of chilli, finely chopped
Fry the meats
I fried the bacon first and then used the same pan for cooking the meat patties, giving them a nice smoky flavour
Chill your burgers for at least an hour before you cook them, It helps them to stay in shape while keeping their nice round shape when frying and stop them from falling apart.
Avocado relish - delish!
sea salt flakes, black pepper, chilli flakes, minced garlic and lemon
Grill your portobellos
Coat them with a little bit of olive oil,
and grill them on both sides.
Grate carrot and ginger.
- ALL YOU NEED -
Ready to assemble.
Stack it up!
The higher the better, the more the merrier.
Sprinkle with sesame seed.
One layer, or TWO? Totally up to you!
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- First, start with forming the meat patties. You just want to add some black pepper and form them into nice round patties. Avoid salt as it will make the liquid come off and make them super dry. Set aside in the fridge.
- Then the bacon in a pan over medium heat until nicely golden and crunchy-crispy. Then set aside.
- Fry the meat patties in the (same pan). After frying you can sprinkle with some salt if you like. Set aside.
- Prep the filling by starting to make the Avocado Relish. You simply combine the garlic, avocado, sea salt, chilli flakes, black pepper and some lemon juice. Keep some extra avocado slices for topping.
- Take out the knob of the Portobellos and coat them with a little bit of olive oil and grill them for about 5 minutes on both sides until they start to brown and soften.
- Grate the carrot and ginger and combine.
- Party Time! Time to assemble! Start with a portobello bottom bun and then top it up as high you want and in whatever combination you love your burger most!
- Finally, cover your burger with a portobello top and sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Time to eat! Enjoy your guilt-free Burger babe!
Grab and Bite!
Not only gluten but guilt free!