Hello Summer Vibes!
You have also and finally reached Copenhagen.
Still Spargel time!
"Spargel" is the German translation for asparagus. The summer in Copenhagen is slowly approaching. In fact, it is still more spring time than summer. Compared to other countries, the seasons and nature is still a little bit behind. However, this has a good side as well - having a loooong spring time allows to enjoy more of the spring veggies like fresh ASPARAGUS and red juicy strawberries.
I got these beauties for my Summery Strawberry Spargel Salad fresh from the organic markets.
In Germany, where I am from, we live close to what is called "Niedersächsische Spargel Straße" meaning "Asparagus Route of Lower Saxony". It is the area where you get the best and freshest asparagus in Germany. So, the area is characterised by having many local restaurants serving a large variety of asparagus dishes and culinary delights.
How to store asparagus
I got this tip on how to store asparagus from my aunty and I thought I'd share it with you. Uncooked asparagus will stay fresh the longest in the fridge. You want the asparagus to stay nicely crispy and green when you eat them.
The secret is to keep the stalks cool and damp. I wrap them in a very damp clean kitchen towel and put them into a plastic bag. If your fridge allows, you can also store the asparagus stand up in a jar of water. Just like a flower bouquet.
I got the inspiration for this recipe of a ambitious cooking member of "KochCowboys". They not only cook well but also have great products and food condiments for cooking.
The salad is great as a light summer dish. It is healthy, spicy and delicious and you don't need many ingredients. The dressing is amazing. Balsamic vinegar and vanilla go so well together balancing the sweetness of the strawberries. The rocket and spring onion give the dish a nice decent spicy twist. Don't forget about the pines. They are amazing roasted finishing off the salad with a nice nutty crunch. See how easy it is to make!
ALL YOU NEED:
salad for two
For the salad
- A few stalked of asparagus, peeled and chopped into pieces- you can use white or green or both
- Fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Fresh organic strawberries, quartered
- A couple of spring onions, thinly sliced
- A handful of pine nuts, roasted
- 100g of fresh organic rocket salad
Optional: Feta or Goats Cheese to crumble
For the Vinaigrette
- 2-3 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 3 tablespoons oil, i used flax seed oil but feel free to use Extra Vergine Olive Oil
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
Prep the dressing
Vanilla Kissed Dressing
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- Slowly roast the pine nuts in a dry pan until golden and set aside.
- In the heated pan fry the asparagus until nicely roasted and crunchy.
- Assemble the salad by combining the strawberries, mint, spring onion, rocket salad, pine nuts
- Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Toss over the greens.