Sorry, guys! Guess that is what they call the summer slump vacation season :) I hope you do enjoy your summer as much as I do! Last recipe has been a while. Nevertheless, here comes a VERY good and summery inspired recipe for you.
My summer light taco recipe
Allow me to introduce you to these Green Lettuce Leaf Tacos beauties topped with a zesty lemon and tahini dressing. It is a not only a great recipe for vegans and celiacs but you can vary it to any of your likings. Overall, it is low in carbs while not compromising taste and deliciousness. It is perfect - especially when you don't feel like a heavy meal on hot summer days.
A culture clash.
I felt like experiementing today. My recipe turned into a very multiculti dish! It is mexican inspired filling using kidney beans. The thyme and roasted pine nuts give the recipe a crunchy mediterranean touch. The black Kalamata olives remind me of Greece and the lemon and tahini dressing is rooted in the Isrealic kitchen. All together it gives the dish its unique taste.
Raw tahini also known as sesame butter it is famous in the Middle Eastern Kitchen used in different dishes like hummus or baba ghanoush. It has a slight nutty taste.
The lemon lime tahini dressing is my latest obsession. I love it on my salads, my morning porridge or simply as a butter substitute. Tahini is made from (un)hulled sesame seeds that are finely ground. So it is 100% sesame seeds - no additives! And as we know sesame is so healthy for our bodies proving it with my minerals and thryptophan.
ALL YOU NEED:
tacos for two
- one romaine lettuce
For the Tahini dressing
- juice of one lemon (about 6 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons of raw tahini
For the filling
- two onions, chopped
- two tablespoons of extra vergine olive or raw coconut oil for frying
- three cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 400g of kidney beans, precooked
- 8-9 juicy organic roma tomatoes, quartered
- a few black kalamata olives, pitted
- one handful of roasted pine nuts, roasted
- one teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- one teaspoon of dried thyme and rosemary
- Chopped cilantro for topping
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
prepare the tahini lemon dressing.
Whisk together the raw tahini and the lemon juice in a small bowl.
make the taco filling.
Therefore, soak the kidney beans in water and then boil until soft.
Fry the onion in oil until soft and starten to brown.
Get hot and spicy
Add the teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the onions and fry for another minute.
Red and juicy.
Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until you get a mushy gravy texture. You may need to add half a cup of water throughout the cooking.
A kiss of Italy.
Season the sauce with oregano and rosemary giving the tomato sauce a nice mediterranean taste.
Add it all up,
by combining the pre-cooked kidney beans, black greek kalamata olives and roasted pine nuts. Combine well and eventually mash the sauce a little.
time to assemble!
Why don't you just have a cup!
Time to fill the lettuce cups. Take of the leaves, cut the ends off and fill with your taco sauce.
Top it up!
Top with roasted pines and freshly chopped cilantro!
Grab a spoon!
Drizzle over the green lettuce tacos with the lemony tahini dressing.
d o n e !
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
Makes about 10
For the Tahini Dressing
- Prepare the tahini lemon dressing by whisking together the freshly squeezed lemon juice and tahini.
For the taco filling.
- On medium heat fry the chopped onion and garlic in oil until soft and the edges slowly starten to brown.
- Add the teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the onions and fry for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until you get a mushy gravy texture. You may need to add half a cup of water throughout the cooking.
- Season the sauce with oregano and rosemary and add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the pre-cooked kidney beans, black greek kalamata olives and roasted pine nuts to the sauce. Combine well and eventually mash the sauce a little.
- Place the lettuce leaves on a plate for filling the cups with the sauce.
- Top with roasted pines and freshly chopped cilantro.
- Serve with tahini dressing.