The inspiration for these little cuties came from my first trip to my local grocer here in Paris. He is just the most adorable guy on earth. Today, they had fresh Zucchini balls. YES, b a l l s. They look a little different from the 'normal' long courgette. When I saw them and their shape, the first thing that came to my mind is to fill them. They have the perfect shape compared to the normal zucchini as the fillng is never going to fall out again.
The perfect Autumn recipe.
It's the perfect comfort food. It healthy and delicious at the same time. Filled with a power house of nutrients and proteins it will nourish your body in the best way possible. It is easy to make - you will be surprised. Also a good recipe for a big crowd of people or to make ahead. Simply reheat for 10, 15 minutes in the oven again.
ALL YOU NEED:
for two foodies
- 2 zucchini balls
For the filling
- two onions, chopped
- two tablespoons of extra vergine olive or raw coconut oil for frying
- three cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 400g of kidney beans, precooked
- 8-9 juicy organic roma tomatoes, quartered
- a few black kalamata olives, pitted
- one handful of roasted pine nuts, roasted
- one teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- one teaspoon of dried thyme and rosemary
- Chopped cilantro for topping
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the top
150g of (vegan) cheese or tofu - Use feta cheese or mozzarella or any other cheese you like
Show your (zucchini) balls!
Prepare the filling
Let's get cheesy
fill it in and
top it up!
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- Fry the onion in oil until soft and starten to brown.
- Add the teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the onions and fry for another minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until you get a mushy gravy texture. You may need to add half a cup of water throughout the cooking.
- Season the sauce with oregano and rosemary giving the tomato sauce a nice mediterranean taste. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the kidney beans, black greek kalamata olives and roasted pine nuts. Combine well and eventually mash the sauce a little.
- Spoon out the inside flesh of the zucchini balls.
- Fill them with the tomato sauce
- Top with roasted pines and (vegan) cheese cubes.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 -35 minutes until the zucchini balls are soft. If you want to have a nicely browned cheese, remove the tops of the balls and roast them for another 5 minutes in the oven.
- Serve with a nice side salad and e n j o y !