Let this dish bring sunshine to your life!
Coconut Black Rice Pudding is my very favourite Indonesian dessert. In Indonesia it is called 'Bubur injin'. I discovered while my travels to Bali last year. I loved it so much that I had to ask the Balinesians for the recipe of it.
Making this coconut black rice pudding brings back a piece of my travels and sunshine to my kitchen.
Look at the deep, dark purple colour of the dish. You will love this recipe as it is is creamy, sweet, a little savory, and very coconutty. It is ideal as a dessert or a warm breakfast.
As the name already says, the rice pudding is made with sticky whole grain black rice, coconut milk and toasted coconut, topped with different fruit.
It is a great recipe for anyone as it is dairy-free and naturally gluten-free.
Black rice is also known as ‚Forbidden Rice’. In ancient China it was reserved for the emperor and nobles. Today you can find it in any good assorted Asian shop.
Not a big fan of polished white rice. I prefer brown or black rice as it has more nutrients. Did you know that white rice is produced by removing the nutrious hull of the rice kernels? It is then it is milled and polished to make it white. This pretty much means that the rice is completely losing most of its nutritional value.
In contrast, brown or black rice is a nutrition powerhouse rice.It has still all of the dietary fiber as well as vitamin B, manganese, phosphorus, iron, essential fatty acids. Because of its dark color, black rice bran contains the same anthocyanin antioxidants found in blueberries or blackberries.
Found the recipe on 'My New Roots' which is a beautiful blog :)
The rice it will take a little while to cook. But the actual cooking time can be shortened by soaking the rice for an hour, or even overnight, to speed the process.
Feel free to add some extra water if your rice pudding gets too dry.
ALL YOU NEED:
4-5 dessert bowls
- 1 cup / 200g black rice, soaked
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (reserve a couple tablespoons for garnish, if desired)
- ½ cup water with soaked rice, 1 ½ cups water with un-soaked rice
- ¼ tsp. fine grain sea salt
- ½ vanilla bean and vanilla pod
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
TUTTI FRUTTI TOPPING - use whatever you love
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- Let rice soak in water (overnight or a few hours before cooking.
- Drain and rinse well again.
- Place rice in a pot with coconut milk, salt, vanilla bean (seeds and pod) and the right amount of water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until tender
- Meanwhile the rice is cooking, prepare the fruit
- Scoop black rice into a bowl, drizzle with coconut milk, top with fruit and coconut.