LEMON PIE BITES
Stop, and read!
Craving sweet? Trick your taste buds with this healthy recipe. You are just ten minutes and six simple ingredients away from the perfect healthy lemon pie snack.
I stumbled upon this recipe in my little recipe scrapbook. I tend to collect heaps and heaps of recipes out of magazines and newspaper. And I end up never actually trying them. Unlike today! Today it's time for some super good Lemon Pie Bites.
those little power balls
I love my Lemon Pie Bites. They are perfect as a afternoon snack, a sweet treat or for breakfast. They are very easy to make as you simply need a food processor to grind the ingredients. Then simply use your hands to form those little balls.
The lemon zest gives it a nice and fresh taste. This snack will totally satisfy your sweet tooth, energise and and wake you up. Perfect for summery days.
I made them sugar free but feel free to add some honey or maple syrup. Also, you can eat them plain. I decided to roll the power balls in lemon zest and sesame seed. It makes them look a lot prettier. You can also cover them in shredded coconut or almond flour.
Sesame seed is super healthy. I love the nutty taste of sesame. Its great roasted on salads, in muesli or in form of tahini. Sesame contains many many healthy minerals within the seed. The outer shell can not be digested by our bodies you might notice ;) Therefore. I make sure to freshly grind it before eating so that my body can fully absorb all the benefits from the seed.
I used fresh coconut and blended it into coconut flour. It worked perfectly fine without adding any additional liquid or oil to make it stick. However, if you use dried desiccated coconut you might need to add some extra lemon juice or melted coconut oil.
These little buddies are flourless, grain-free, gluten-free and refined sugar free. Filled with minerals and energy.
ALL YOU NEED:
- 3/4 cup of almonds | optional 2 cups almond meal
- half a coconut | alternatively 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of sesame seed, plus extra for rolling
- zest of one or two organic lemons, plus extra for rolling
- one vanilla pot, scraped
- one pinch of sea salt
- optional: 3 tbs maple sirup or raw honey
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT:
- Scrape out vanilla pod and grate lemon zest
- Cut out the white flesh from the coconut and grind it finely, set aside
- Grind the sesame seed finely
- Grind the almonds finely until you have almond meal
- In a bowl mix the shredded coconut, ground
- Place a teaspoon full of the mixture into your palm and shape into little blass
- Roll in sesame seed and lemon zest
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes until firm
Store in a container in the fridge or freezer and you have got the perfect treat for any time of the day.
Have a bite!
A Lemon Pie Bite!