Happy weekend everyone!
Aren't you also glad that the week is finally over? I love weekends. Just the fact not having to set an alarm for the next morning and knowing that I can spend a little more time on preparing my nourishing and powerful breakfast.
I made this amazing and healthy breakkie with my dear friend Sarah last week in London.
It is the perfect start into the day fuelling you up with power and energy. Especially if you are feel exhausted from the weekdays or are tired from last night...
This weekend breakfe(a)st is high in good fats and protein but low in carb. Avocado provides you with many fibres and healthy fats (don't be scared guys, your body needs fat more than you think!).
Some might think BACON??! How can this fatty piece of meat be healthy for me? Bacon is known to contain high amounts of sodium and nitrates. But I actually found an interesting article by Chris Kesser, stating that it there is no need to fear bacon. Having mmega-3 fatty acids, proteins, high in B Vitamins and zinc it can be beneficial as long as you don't overdo. So small portion sizes. And keep in mind “happy pig = healthy and more nutritious bacon” = buy organic and local.
The meat and spinach goes perfectly together with lemon as the iron can be a lot better ingested when eaten along with Vitamin C. The ginger gives it a fresh zingy taste while having healing benefits.
I use ginger every day. So Indian :)
I also make sure to sprinkle some nuts and seeds over my food. The pine nuts and sunflower seeds are not only a crunchy little extra, moreover they are filled with vitamins and minerals.
HEALTHY, HAPPY and YUMMY.
If you are vegetarian just leave out the bacon and it will be as delicious.
ALL YOU NEED:
- 2 eggs (free-range at least)
- 4-6 bacon slices (organic, guys!) - if you are vegetarian just leave out the bacon part
- 100g baby spinach
- 2 avocados, cut in wedges
- pine nuts and sunflower seeds
- ginger, finely chopped
- lemon juice
- chilli flakes, sea salt and black pepper
THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT
- Fry the bacon in the pan until crispy, set aside and remove excessive fat. There is no need to wash the pan as it will add some nice taste to your breakfast.
- Add sunflower seeds and pine nuts, ginger and spinach to the pan and fry, watch out it cooks super quickly(!), set aside
- Crack eggs into pan, fry, top them with avocado
- To serve, add the cooked spinach and bacon to your avocado-eggs
- Add lemon juice, sprinkle with chilli flakes, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to your liking
And guess what? It goes best with your new favourite guilt free bread :)